Plan A.v.A.

by Corrinthia Breuckner


Part Four: The Calm Before The Storm


The eerie silence of the room carried its own unique echo of sound; soft, ghostly, distant, and cold. Cold as the chair she sat in and the desk upon which her fingers trailed. This silence was the shaker of worlds, the destroyer of hopes, and the doubt that crept into even the most well-thought-out plans.

It was in this silence that one was able to think, and to question one's plan, and even more so one's motives. What was she doing here, really? Was she here because she thought it was necessary to save the system, or was it for another, darker, purpose? A purpose that dared not even slip its way across her lips in a faint whisper for fear of finding truth within its sound?

A sound to break the silence. She sighed and listened as the echo of her breath collided with the walls of the dimly lit office. No more of this could she take. Standing to leave, she took one final deep breath, before stopping frozen in her steps. How long had he been standing there, watching her?

"Something on your mind, Ms. Matrix?" His smile curled upwards, revealing the furthest reaches of his crocodilian grin. His green eyes narrowed, their gaze slithering their way up her form as he crossed the room.

"You asked me here, Megabyte. So talk. I have a lot of work to do."

Her eyes narrowed with his, her spirit feeling ever more uncooperative. Now was the time when she would begin to fulfill her part of the plan. She was afraid, but also relieved. Cooperating with this monster for the past two cycles had been degrading at her files; so much so that she had begun to question her plan, and her motives. She was going to end it all now, draw the line, and stop him in his tracks.

"Sit back down, Ms. Matrix, we have some... things to discuss."

When he noticed that she made no effort to sit down, he sighed and finished with a hesitant, "Please." The grin returned to his face as she slowly took a seat.

"Do we?" she said, surprised by the 'please' so much so that she found herself actually sitting. She fought hard to hold back a yawn, but lost, and raised her hand to her face to cover it.

"Actually, I thought that you could use a break, yes? Can't have you falling asleep during the Hunt, when I will be in need of your services the most." He took his eyes off her for the first time since entering the room and pressed the telecom button on the desk. "Bring in the order."

He promptly turned his eyes back to her, sending a chill up her body. Noticing the reaction, he smiled to himself. A few nanos later, two of the viral binomes walked in, set a tray down onto the desk, saluted and departed. On the tray were a variety of foods and drinks, a few were rare and high in energy.

"You took me away from my work for this?" She did her best to sound annoyed, but more so she was shocked and utterly confused.

"You were falling asleep at your post, Ms. Matrix. You are no good to me drained. Now, enjoy the hospitality and eat."

"I'm not hungry."

"It would be in your best interests to."

"Or what? I'm not hungry."

"EAT!" Megabyte rose from his chair, knocking over some of the food items, digging one of his claws into the desk in front of Dot. When Dot didn't even flinch, he found himself grinning ever so slightly. He sat back down.

"Please, eat, if only to hate every bite of it." There was that 'please' again. Where was that coming from? he found himself thinking. Dot was thinking the same thing.

"Is this all you called me in for, your hospitality?" She slowly picked up a slightly spilt cup of java, if only to humour him for now.

"Actually, Ms. Matrix, I wanted to discuss your role in my little Hunt I have planned."

"I see. Well, I wanted to talk to you about that, too." So it began, the dance with the devil.

"Really? Well, do tell Ms. Matrix." His eyes darkened, not sure what to expect, as he curled his hands under his chin.

"Well," Dot paused to take a sip of the java, actually glad to have it, even if it was from him. "I have come to a decision of sorts."

She paused for a moment, trying to think of the correct wording. She needed him mad, mad enough to try and drone her. After one final prayer to the User, hoping that everyone was ready, she quirked a dark smile and set out to complete her task.


* * *


Why were things always so hazy, so vague, so lonely? Stillness would always envelope her when she reached that place. The stillness was safe, forgiving. The light was unceasing, harsh, burning. Oh User, if she could just make that light go away and leave her alone in this place, let her be happy in this stillness. The light came no matter how much she pleaded it to leave, beating down its hard heated light into her eyes, causing her to flinch. Then there was that sound again, like a distant clock. Steady, neverending. It was so painful to her ears.

Oh User, no, not her, not now. The hazed gray figure approached the child in the corner, each footstep echoing in rhythmic movement, a delicate hand stretched out, the sweet smile on its face. You're not real. Leave me alone! I don't wanna remember you, this place, these things!

But the figure would not stop. Closer and closer it came to the crying child, its arms outstretched. You're not real! You're gone! Why do you haunt me? The child wept a heavy sob. Please, just leave me be. No, don't touch me, I can't deal with this. I miss you. Please Mamma, you're not really there. Go away! No, mamma!

"Mamma no!"

The hacker sat bolt upright, shielding her eyes against the harsh lights from the vid windows that greeted her. She breathed a heavy gasp as she gathered her surroundings, drawing her legs up to her chest. She jumped slightly as she felt a pair of arms wrapped around her shoulders and drew her in close, giving her much-needed comfort.

"It's all right, love. You were just having bit of a dream, is all." Ray wrapped his arms around her tightly, his concern growing as he held her shaking hands. "You all right, love? Want to talk about it?"

"It's... It's noth'n, sugah." She did her best to shake off the whole experience. She had gotten so used to it, though it was nice to have someone there when she woke up this time.

"All right, love." He sighed lightly, but left it at that, for now.

"What time is it, Ray?" She peered out and saw the edge of the dawn light creeping over the horizon of Mainframe. She jumped up off of Baud. "You let me sleep this long?"

"You needed the rest." he countered.

"But, Ray! I could have missed the signal!"

"No worries love, I was watching the place for you. Now sit back down while I get you a cup of java."

"You were up all this time, honey?" She reluctantly sat back down on Baud and watched him go behind the counter to get some java.

"Well, not the whole time, but most of it." He turned to her with a small smirk. "You're just too entertaining when you sleep. You talk, sing, and snore. A regular triple feature!" He gave her a laugh and turned back to the java.

"I most certainly do not!" She countered, then laughed lightly at the thought of him watching her all night. "Do I really?"

"You bet, love." He passed her a warm mug of java, the smell very welcome to her file system as she sped up her processes. He smiled as she leaned back against his chest. He wrapped one arm around her waist as he sipped the java.

"No news from any of the others?" she spoke after a small pause to enjoy the moment.

"Well Bob vidwindowed in just to check up before he docked for the night. Enzo is taking downtime at his apartment. No word from Matrix and AndrAIa. Oh yeah," he paused to laugh, "Hack and Slash called in wondering if they could stay here for the night. I kindly declined, of course."

"And where was I when all this was goin' on?"

"Right here, love. Asleep."

"They didn't... !?" She looked up at his smirking face with a raised eyebrow.

"No," he laughed, "I kept the vids on audio only." He gave her a kiss and wrapped his arm around her waist more tightly. "Now relax and drink your java. We've got a long cycle ahead of us."

She smiled and leaned her head back against him. She wasn't in that lonely stillness, and yet she felt safe. For the first time she felt safe in the light.


* * *


He awoke with coming dawn and sat up from his uncomfortable position on the couch. He had sat there most of the night, thinking. He glanced around the empty and quiet apartment after clearing his vision, the grogginess of the lack of downtime keeping an unwavering presence. He looked down at the picture he had clutched to his chest, his hands aching from grasping in the same position for that length of time. He set the picture back down on the table, a small smile coming to his lips as the smiling face on the picture looked at him. Bob's smile slowly faded as he remembered exactly where Dot was at that very moment, alone with that virus. He sighed and ran a hand through his silvery hair then looked to the small sprite who stood there looking at him.

"Enzo, what are you doing online so early?" He did his best to give the boy a smile.

"I couldn't stay docked, Bob. I tried, honest, but my mind just kept processing no matter how hard I tried to turn it off. I'm sorry." Enzo let a small yawn escape.

"It's ok. I couldn't sleep either." Bob smiled again and patted the couch next to him.

"Really?" Enzo stumbled his way over to the couch and plopped down beside Bob.

"Nope, not much at least."

"Worried about Dot too?"

"Yeah, Enzo." He looked down at Enzo who returned the frown. He sighed and scruffed up the kid's hair. "Don't worry, your sister knows what she's doing." I hope, he added silently. He looked in the less-than-confident eyes of Enzo and nodded. This sprite is too smart for his own good sometimes, he thought. Bob decided what was needed was a change in subject. "You did well with evacuation."

"Thanks, Bob." A small smile of pride managed to make its way onto the sad sprite's face. "I did my best, for you - and for Dot."

"I know she'll be proud of you when this is all over with." Bob found his eyes wandering back over to the picture.

"Bob, when will it be over?" Enzo looked up at Bob, sure that he had the answer. Bob always had an answer.

"Soon." He did his best to put confidence behind that vague word, not sure if soon was even the right answer. He sighed and wrapped an arm around Enzo's shoulder. "Soon," he repeated. He began to say something else, but only smiled when he realized that Enzo had fallen asleep. He too began to drift off, the last image in his eyes being the picture of Dot and her smile.


* * *


"What is that smell?" Matrix blinked his eyes to the dimly lit bunker as he gathered his senses about him. His speech was dry and his muscles were sore from laying on a box of ammunition all night.

"Morning, lover." AndrAIa gave him a groggy smile inbetween yawns.

"Hi." A smile crept onto his weary face. He gave her a small kiss, then looked about the bunker. "Well, what is that smell?"

"Oh, that!" AndrAIa laughed lightly. "Hack and Slash were so grateful for us letting them stay here last night that they're making breakfast." She smirked and added, "for the entire force."

"What?" Matrix blinked. "That's impossible."

"Why?"

"Because," he gave a shocked smile, "it actually smells good."

AndrAIa laughed and pinched his arm before standing. He rose slowly with a long stretch and stood beside her. Bunker 1-0 Alpha was halfway between downtime and full functioning. Some of the binomes were still offline, others were just waking up and waking others beside them, and the rest were already fully online, delivering mugs of java and plates of food. A few binomes were carrying a large cart out to the other bunkers filled with java, shakes, food, and a few bottles of I/O. Matrix took a step back as one CPU buzzed by him with a tool kit.

"They really seem to have their processes together." Matrix said as he continued to take a look around the bunker.

"They had a good instructor," AndrAIa gave him a wink. "And today is the third cycle. We're expecting the signal from Dot any millisec now. If Bob was right, as she did speed up the plan, then it'll come before the end of the cycle."

"And if he was wrong?" He crossed his arms with a slight grumble.

"Don't worry lover, everything will work out." She gave him a smile and looped an arm through his. "Now, what do you say we go and get some breakfast? Hack and Slash have been working hard, and you won't believe all the stuff they have!"

"Well, it smells good." He managed to give her a small smile. "Don't know if want to taste it though."

"Wuss." She pinched him and tugged his arm.

"Am not! I just want to live to see the actual battle." He laughed roughly and reluctantly followed.


* * *


"No, you have to shake it, then stir." Hack's voice was more than a little frustrated.

"I always stir, then shake."

"That is why yours always tastes funny."

"Does not."

"Oh, yes it does."

"My goodness! You are cranky in the morning."

"Oh! I am sorry Slash, I am very cranky. But it is shake first!"

"Apology accepted, but it is stir."

"Shake."

"Stir."

"Shake!"

"STIR!"

"Morning boys!" AndrAIa thought it best to interrupt them before breakfast ended in a food fight.

"Oh! AndrAIa and Matrix!" They both turned away from the argument and spoke in unison.

"Good morning to you!" Hack got in first.

"Oh yes, good morning. Hope you slept well."

"I've slept better." Matrix sighed.

"Oh that is too bad."

"Oh yes, too bad. I did not sleep well either."

"Yes you did. You kept me up."

"How did I keep you up?"

"You snore."

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do."

"I do? Loudly?"

"Yes."

"Oh, I am sorry."

"That is ok." The bots looked at the two sprites watching them and then held up plates of food and cups of java. "Breakfast?" they asked in unison.


* * *


"So, let me get this straight..." The virus's voice was filled with aggravation, and rising anger. "You are now refusing to cooperate?"

"What? Was I not speaking your language? I'm not cooperating in this Hunt of yours, virus." Dot added that nice little slur at the end, just for a punch.

"That is unacceptable!" He rose from his seat behind the desk and began to approach where Dot was sitting.

"Well, that's just too bad, isn't it."

Dot was doing her best to keep the fear out of her voice, filling it with all of the spite and anger she had toward the monster standing before her. She pushed even more of that anger into her voice as he came ever nearer to her. "No fun when things don't go according to plan, is it?"

"Enough!" Megabyte growled and leaned in close to her, his golden claws slowly lengthening as his anger grew. "You are going to help me hunt down those sprites, Ms. Matrix." His eyes darkened and shone a luminous and sickening viral green. "One way or another." The depth of his voice hissed and permeated the room with its vileness.

"Have it your way, Virus."

She almost choked on her words as a shiver of fright made its way through her file system. She returned Megabyte's glare with matching ferocity. The glare was slowly replaced by confusion as she watched the virus's own glare fade into an expression, which at first, she couldn't put her finger on. Then it hit her, and it scrambled her files like an incoming game cube that she couldn't escape from. On his face - this monster - this virus, was the look of... regret.

But that's impossible. He doesn't feel regret. He's a virus, a loathing, disgusting, degraded virus program! Dot's train of thought began to push a small inkling of doubt into her mind. Is this why I came here? Is this what I was looking for? A look of pure revulsion came across her face. Dear User, just get it over with. You're a horrible creature, a virus, and I hate you! Don't I?

"You disgust me!" she nearly spat in his face. "The lives you ruined for your enjoyment, the games you've played, the things you've done!"

"The things I've done?!" he bellowed. Then he looked straight at her, a tinge of pain, yet some sort of sadistic pleasure, as if looking for an answer to his next question that would suit what he was feeling at that very moment. "Tell me, Ms. Matrix, what disgusts you more - the fact that you kissed me? Or the fact that you enjoyed it?"

Dot was left completely speechless by this. All she could do was stare at him, searching for her own answer to the question. It was an answer that she didn't have, or at least, didn't want to admit to having. After a moment of silence, the virus let the smile drop from his face.

"You leave me no choice." He leaned away from her and found himself taking a pause. He was having trouble discouraging his assimilation tendrils from attacking her. Why? He growled lightly as he looked at her face. What was it? That strange sensation. Stop looking at me! That look in her eyes was degrading him, and he couldn't figure out why.

It finally hit him, the force of it almost knocking him back, causing him to stumble slightly in his steps. Impossible! he concluded to himself. Wasn't it? Angered even more by these thoughts, he let out one final growl before turning his eyes away from her, unable to bear any more of it. The tendrils finally escaped their master's hesitant grip and shot forth, crossing the room in search of their target.

Dot heard herself scream as the tendrils raced to her and then through her, connecting right onto her PID, right on target. Then, there was nothing. She was still there, in that room, with that virus, but she couldn't move, or speak, or feel. Everything was numb. She couldn't feel it, but she knew the fear was there, with her. She could only watch, like an audience member at some strange play, unable to boo or applaud. She could do nothing except hope that AvA had been successfully transplanted. She stared blankly at Megabyte as his tendrils continued to drain her, each nano the world becoming ever more distant.

What was that look, that look on his face? It wasn't regret anymore. Oh User no! He must know, he must have figured it out! He must know about A.v.A! Her mind raced, but no words escaped her closed lips. He must know - he must - What? I don't understand. Oh, no, get away from me! Get away! But she could do nothing as the virus leaned in to her again, his eyes staring down at her, his hand running across her cheek. He doesn't know. Then what? What was this look, if not regret?

"I'm... I'm sorry it had to be this way, Dot, but you left me no choice."

He looked into those eyes of hers again, now lifeless and still. It was still there, however. That sensation was still there. He looked at his hand as it ran along her cheek, wiping away a small tear of data that must have fallen as she screamed. That scream had sent a chill down his spine. Not of enjoyment, like it usually would have, but of pain and sorrow. Why? What was this? What was this? What was he doing? she thought in the darkened silence. More questions soon came into her mind, along with a terror and a silent scream as he drew in closer to her. He paused before her. What do you want from me, virus? She received an answer as he drew her motionless body into a kiss, dark and still - yet passionate. It was then that Dot realized what that look on his face was. No! Dear User, what is happening?

What am I doing? He stumbled backwards, dropping Dot's motionless form back into the chair. Impossible! He turned away from her and sank his claws into the cold metal of the desk. When? When did this all happen, how did this start, and how did he allow this to creep into him? I'm a virus! I have no programming for this! It is impossible! I am incapable of love! Slowly his claws withdrew from the cold of the desk as a sudden thought passed through his files.

He was a virus, incapable of love, it wasn't in his programming. A Guardian - Bob - however, wasn't. He slowly began to growl. He had taken Glitch and Bob's code in order to infiltrate the core, and in the end survive the web. He never thought that Bob's code might somehow infect his own programming.

Of course. It's not me. It's Bob. Bob and his blasted code! He turned and looked back at Dot, thinking that this realization would alleviate the feelings from before. He thought that now that he understood the source he could fight the sensation. Those eyes, however, sent the same sensation up his spine. He found himself regretting again, sad again, and he felt love again. He let a large viral scream echo through the room as he lifted his claws above him in rage.

"Damn you Guardian!"


* * *


Part Five



[ Ava's profile ]

[ Back to the Character Database ]

[ Main Page ]